Monday, June 4, 2012

WHAT DO THEY CALL ME?

I might call myself any name I want to...but I will be called after what I have done, period! Why is Ben Carson called the top neurosurgeon? We all know of his breakthrough genius in brain surgery. Yet at one point in time, this guy was called, and actually came to believe that...he was dumb! The ironies of this world!

You have probably seen people's profiles online. People love titles...big titles. We all do, don't we. For some reason, behind that title waving culture, there is this deep need to feel significant. In fact, of some of the seven (I think) paramount psychological needs, being significant ranks higher. I picked up a book from a friend titled, "Don't  Waste Your Life" by a guy called John Piper ostensibly because of the following words at the back of that book:

"John Piper writes, "I will tell you what a tragedy is, I will show you how to waste your life. consider this story from the February 1998 Readers Digest:  A couple 'took early retirement from their jobs in the Northeast five years ago when he was 59 and she was 51. Now thy live in Punta Gorda, Florida, where they cruise in their 30 foot trawler, play softball and collect shells....' Picture them before Christ at the great day of judgement: 'Look, Lord. See my shells.' That is a tragedy.
Probably, the inherent need to avoid the 'tragedy' makes people from all walks of life to seek 'titles.' I have however found out that no matter how many titles you put on yourself, it will never be worth its salt if you cannot back it up with some weight.

In other words, you call a healer One who heals. You call a painter one who paints. You call an entrepreneur one with who initiated businesses by seizing opportunities. You call an author one who has written books. You call a blogger one with a blog that is actually being read. 

I think the biggest question on the whole 'title' business is this: At the onset of everything...what do they call me? That is an important question worth reflecting. Two things here: There is a time and a place where you could care less what someone says you are. This is when you are shaping your own life, taking a specific direction. At this moment in time, if I call myself an author, it is what I do on a daily basis towards this end that matters, not what people say! Tragedy is titling yourself and not working towards that title. That is a mark of mediocrity.

The second thing is this: When they start calling you by what they see you, you know that you are not standing on the same level with them. You know that you have a platform. You know that you do not need to introduce yourself...your fruits advertise you. When people start calling you what they are calling you because of what you are doing...something has shifted. From calling yourself to people actually doing it...it is a major step. 

Most importantly, when people actually call you by the title you desired before you had anything to show of, it shows that you have been congruent and true to your 'calling'. It is what I do in between titling myself and people calling me by that very title later on that matters.

I have realized one thing...titles can both be limiting and stretching. One way or another, you are either calling yourself something...or people are calling you something. When those two merge...purpose has been created. My question is: What do they call you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for Life Signatures

What are your thoughts on this?

Links

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...